Wednesday, January 5, 2011


Today is Whensday!
by: Don Snyder

Notice the unique spelling in the article title? That's not a typo. Since the New Year is upon us, I thought now would be a good time to share a new "get stuff done" philosophy with you.

Last month, I was thinking about how many of my own projects get delayed because of simple procrastination. I scribbled the internal discussion in my journal and put it on my "when-I-get-around-to-it-list." Well, folks… today is Whensday.

Whensday is that day you SAY you're going do something. The day you'll write your book, take that ballroom dancing class, go back to school, find a new job, clean the garage, fix the toilet, whatever...

When I have more time.
When I have more money.
When I get a degree.
When I get a new job.
When I get a raise.
When I lose some weight.
When the economy is better.
When they fire that jerk of a boss.
When someone gives me a chance.
When the world isn't conspiring against me.
When I get more experience.
When I have more freedom.
When I meet "the right people."
When I don't have so much housework.
When somebody gives me some help.
When someone gives me permission.
When my family understands me.
When I get motivated.
When I get famous.
When I get a promotion.
When I get out of debt.
When I save some money.
When I know I can't fail.
When I'm not so busy.
When I marry the right person.
When I move to another city.
When I start my own business.
When my luck is better.
When I hit the lottery.

I've got news for you. That perfect day - when the stars are in alignment and all your lottery numbers hit, some Hollywood talent scout runs into you at Starbucks and thinks you'd be perfect in the next George Clooney movie, and Steve Jobs calls to ask you to run Apple for him - just ain't gonna happen.

You need to decide that today is the day you're going to start putting your goals into action. Today is when you're going to write the first chapter of the book. Today is when you're going to call up that dance school and sign-up for this weekend's class. Today is when you're going to go down to the hardware store and buy a new "floaty thing" for your toilet tank.

TODAY is Whensday.
TOMORROW is Whensday.
EVERY DAY is Whensday.

The New Year is filled with Whensdays! Your job is to make every one of them count.

No comments:

Post a Comment