Wednesday, February 9, 2011


Your First Words
by: Noah Rickun

I love a good sales pitch. Actually, it’s not the pitch that gets me – it’s the approach. How a salesperson begins the conversation with me ultimately determines whether I will buy from him or her.

There are so many great ways to greet a customer in a retail environment (and equally as many no-so-great ways). You have the opportunity and the choice to set the tone for the interaction and the buying decision. But you have to know what to say and how to greet your customers.

Today, I find myself roaming the airport in Philadelphia killing time before my flight home. I first go into J&M and look at men’s clothes. I’m the only customer in the store. The salesman shouts (from behind the counter) “Afternoon, sir! Take a look around and let me know if you need anything.” I browse for a minute, decide I don’t need anything, and head for the door.

Next, I walk into InMotion. (If you know me – you know that I definitely don’t need anything here. I have more gadgets than anyone.) I try on one pair of headphones, then another. Although I know the salesman sees me, he waits for the right opportunity. I stumble upon a Bluetooth headset that comes in several colors and I lean in close to read the features.

Suddenly, I hear “Want the black one or the red one?”

“I’m not sure I want either,” I say.

“This is the best headset I’ve ever owned,” replies the sales guy. “I see you don’t have a Bluetooth in your ear. I’m guessing you own one, though. What would you improve about yours?”

Good question, I think to myself.

The salesman listens intently, shows me how this headset answers my wishes, and asks again, “So, black or red?”

“Black,” I say.

At the register, as I am handing the salesman my credit card, he asks, “Do you normally use the spray or the wipes to clean your iPhone?”

“How’d you know I have an iPhone?” I respond.

“Saw you put it in your pocket when you walked in. How do you clean your screen?”

“With my shirt,” I sheepishly tell him.

“You have to try these wipes, they are a lot safer. You can’t imagine the germs you have on your phone. I have citrus or evergreen, but citrus smells way better.” Without waiting for my response he scans the citrus wipes, tacks five bucks on the sale and I walk out smiling. The salesman was good. And I now have the best Bluetooth headset in the world.

Let’s look at the difference between the guy at J&M and the guy at InMotion:

J&M guy: Polite, professional, by the book, boring. Failed to engage me. InMotion guy: Made my day. Made the sale. Made himself a couple of bucks.

How do YOU approach YOUR customers and prospects? How are YOU engaging YOUR customers and prospects? Better yet, how many opportunities have you missed because of a weak approach?

Don’t fret. I’ve got a few ideas on how to engage your customers and prospects right here:

1. Smile and acknowledge your customer immediately. Make them feel warm and welcome.

2. Do not ask, “What brings you in today?” or, “Looking for anything in particular?” even if you’ve been trained to do that for twenty years. Just remember, so has everybody else – and it doesn’t work that well anyway.

3. Walk over to your customer and offer your hand. Yes, shake their hand. Work in retail? Try it. People will look at you with respect.

4. Simply say, “Welcome!” or “Welcome back!” You own the business (even if you don’t, pretend you do – your pride will do wonders for your ability to sell), so treat your customer as you would a guest in your home. You might even open with, “Thank you for coming!”. Consider thanking your customers for visiting, not just for buying.

5. No matter what, offer to show your customer SOMETHING. And don’t ask. Just say, “You have to see our latest…” or, “You’re in luck! We just got in a shipment of…” and start walking toward the item. Your customer will follow.

The above list is a start. I recommend you use my tips, refine them, and then create your own best practices for your specific business and situation. Whatever you do – just be sure to do it with passion, enthusiasm, and excitement. You show me a confident, intelligent, friendly, enthusiastic salesperson, and I’ll show you the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment