Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Best Salesperson I've Ever Met Was Not a Salesperson at All, but A Member of the Silent Sales Force (TM)

By: Mike Hourigan, CSP

On my return flight from a particularly long and grueling business trip last year, I was relieved to find that my seating assignment dropped me next to another guy who was wearing the road warrior's uniform: polo shirt, khaki slacks, and loafers. I introduced myself and the typical pre-takeoff conversation ensued... where are you from, where are you going, how long have you been out on this trip, etc. My next question was designed to find out if he was a possible customer.

"What do you do, Roger?"

I was expecting one of the usual responses: "I am a marketing manager with Finer Markets," or "I am a field engineer with Best Fluids." I was certainly not prepared for his answer or his powerful delivery.

"I work for the best company in the world."

"No kidding!" I joked.

He put down his bottle of water on the tray and said, "That's right, no kidding." He started by telling me about an incredible 401k plan and how generous the company was to their employees. He went on to explain how many manufacturing plants they had, where they were located, and who their customers were. My mind was spinning in a million directions -- I want to write an article about this company, I want to consult with them, I want to work with them. I also knew this guy was probably some executive VP and I wanted to land him.

With half an hour left until landing, I asked him for a business card. He said he did not have one with him; he had left his cards in his company vehicle.

"You've got a company car, too?" He really did work for the best company in the world, I thought.

"You might say that. I am a truck driver for my company."

Even though he was not an executive VP like I had assumed, Roger still knew more about his company than most people know about their own families. He was a walking, talking advertisement for his organization who managed to convince even a skeptical salesperson like me that he really did work for the best company in the world. Roger was more than just a truck driver, he was also a member of his company's silent sales force.

Here are five things you can do to start a silent sales force at your company:

  • Realize your employees understand they will benefit from your company's success.
  • Tell your employees you need and value their help.
  • Give your employees permission to tell people about your company.
  • Find a way to reward members of your silent sales force
  • Most importantly, give them something to brag about.

Every company can benefit from a silent sales force filled with proud employees just like Roger. Your employee envoys are waiting to join your silent sales force, and all you need to do is show them where and how to enlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment