Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You Go, Go Daddy!

By: Whitney Bishop

I’m always thrilled when someone manages to surprise and delight me as a customer. I recently had the privilege of receiving such a service experience from GoDaddy, the hosting company I’ve been working with for over six years now.

Bob called me up to talk with me about my account. I manage multiple domains and have several hosting plans and he had been taking a look at my account and noticing that I could be saving some money or better utilizing the services I already had.

The big news here? Bob called ME first. Nice move, Bob!

You see, that had been one of the things on my to-do list – “Call GoDaddy to review my account plans.” I’d been putting it off because I assumed it would take a large block of time and an even larger dose of patience.

Bob saved me some money. Guess what else Bob did? Bob made a sale. I renewed several domains for multiple years – putting money in GoDaddy’s pocket and in Bob’s pocket! And we both felt great about it.

How can you take a cue from Go Daddy? From Bob?

Make three changes to the way you interact with your customers:

1. Take a page from the playbook of GoDaddy. Call up your customers and make sure they are getting the right solution from you. Ask them questions about how they’re using your product/service. Ask them why they aren’t using certain features – maybe they just don’t understand or haven’t gotten around to calling in for help. Make sure your internal processes aren’t making it hard for them to do business with you.

2. Make it a HABIT to go visit your customers and SEE how they are using and benefitting from your product or service. Who do you want them to think of when it’s time to renew or reorder? The discount catalog, the phone salesperson, the other guy who went in to make a call or YOU? You’ve already got the business – show up so you can keep it!

3. A Daily Dose! Every day, take 20 minutes to think of one of your customers. Set the timer on your phone, pull up all their file, whatever you’ve got. And focus on NOTHING but them. Give them ideas for how to use your product or service to increase their sales, their revenue, and their business. Set a Google Alert for them, if you haven’t already, to see what’s happening in their world and how you can support, encourage, benefit, or celebrate them.

Already doing some of these things? GREAT! How can you make changes to make it even better, more relevant, more customer/client focused? Stay alert folks – somewhere there’s a service experience that will surprise and delight you. Take note and turn it around - make it a point to create one of those for your customers every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment