Monday, August 29, 2011

How to Get Through the Dips

August 29,

This past weekend over 47 fitness experts gathered in beautiful San Diego to learn my advanced training techniques to help their clients get more results. By the end of the weekend several trainers had joined my 1 Million Transformation Mission (dedicated to helping 1 million men and women transform their bodies and their lives by 2020).

It was an amazing weekend and I'm grateful for opportunities like this. But things weren't always so good. Not even close.

To be brutally honest with you, there weren’t a lot of people with confidence in my vision when I went off to school to get a Kinesiology degree in 1994. In fact, the people closest to me were the most negative.

My mom, in particular, was worried the most. Her only experience with a “Kinesiology graduate” was a young man who had recently been hired for a spot on the factory floor where she worked as a receptionist.

She was worried the same was going to happen to me. She was terrified I would spend four years and forty thousand dollars to get a relatively useless degree and end up working in the factory where I had spent my summers working to pay for that schooling.

But not for a single second did I have any doubts about my success. There were no self-limiting beliefs in my mind.

When I started University (we don’t call it “college” here in Canada), I had full intentions of becoming a Strength and Conditioning Coach in the National Hockey League. I attained the necessary degrees, including a Master’s in Exercise Physiology and a specific training certification common to all NHL strength coaches.

But everything changed in 1998 when I discovered a fitness website selling products through articles posted on their website. I immediately knew this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I started my first email newsletter in 1999 and soon was selling fitness manuals through Paypal in 2001.

There was never doubt in my mind that I would succeed.

That said, there's nothing exceptional about me. I'm average height, average intelligence, average physical ability, and sometimes I think I'm below average in decision-making.

I suppose, if anything, I’m exceptional in my ability to persevere. That’s it. Nothing else.

You are likely smarter and better looking than I am, or at least you can make better decisions.

The question is, will you have the same “never quit attitude”?

Because that is what REALLY sets the success stories apart from the folks who struggle.

Here’s more proof…recently at a marketing seminar I attended, one of the attendees became visibly frustrated with a common problem shared by all information marketers.

Like me, this other attendee had a successful business helping people start their own website business, but he was worried that the people who bought his products would not succeed (a worry that all of us have – no one likes to have someone not get results with their product).

The seminar leader responded, “Well, what makes you so exceptional?”

He wasn’t joking, although everyone laughed.

“Seriously,” our expert continued. “YOU were able to succeed online, and I know you. There’s nothing exceptional about you.”

Again, more laughter from the crowd, and fortunately, a light bulb went on in the attendee’s head.

He realized the guru was right. There was nothing exceptional about him, and he went on to list the 3 key factors of his success, which were:
a) Getting good at selling
b) Never stop learning
c) Being an action taker
There’s nothing about being a genius in there.

It all came down to believing that he could do it, and taking action on proven steps to success (like the ones we provide you here at Early to Rise).

The BIG LESSON is this:

The only thing exceptional about successful people is their ability to do the work.

None of us are super-geniuses like Wile E. Coyote. Neither are we rocket surgeons.

Most people who make good money with a website business are just average men and women who commit to doing the work, consistently, and who believe in themselves.

Listen, when you get started, there are always going to be what Seth Godin calls, “The Dips”.

That’s where you struggle, and that’s where most people give up.

But with passion, you’ll get through that dip, as long as you believe in yourself.

Never let self-limiting beliefs get in the way of success,

No comments:

Post a Comment