Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Am Not a Social Media Expert


At any given point in the day, I can look at photos of old high school friends; engage in rants about bad service; review fabulous (and not so fabulous products); see where my favorite speakers are presenting; ask for advice; and receive pearls of wisdom from experts all over the world.

I am not a Social Media expert. I dabble more than most, but I am still intimidated by those who know all the fancy lingo, cool apps, and new sites. I link. I like. I tweet. I share. I post. And I engage. I have a personal page. I have a professional page. I have friends. I have fans. And I have to admit, it sure feels good when 791 people wish me a happy birthday.

I feel compelled to post information so that I stay top of mind, but I often wonder who really cares. When is it all too much - and when is it not enough? If I stopped tomorrow, would anyone really notice? And like many of you, I don't understand why certain Facebook posts don't get a single response - yet other ones solicit a frenzy of feedback. What's the formula? What's the secret?

For more than a dozen years, I have watched new and exciting business trends evolve. Social Media has changed the way we do business. From snail mail to fax machines to emails to online communities, one thing is certain: The most successful businesses stay current. And right now, Social Media is current. And it's not going away.

You don't have to have all of the answers (or be that really annoying guy who belongs to more social sites than you know), but you do have to accept that Social Media is part of our culture. More importantly, it has become a part of our business culture. You may not "believe" in Social Media - but what if your customers do? And you may not care about bad online reviews of a product - but what if that product is yours? And you may not want to know what your competitor's online presence looks like - until they steal your biggest account. So rather than fighting it, embrace it. And from one non-expert to another, here are three benefits of being online and getting connected:

Staying in touch. Social Media makes it easier to stay "top of mind" with current customers and prospects. This doesn't mean that it should replace more intimate forms of communication (phone calls and face-to-face meetings) - rather, let your Social Media messages enhance your relationships with more value. Provide information to your customers that will benefit them and their businesses on a more regular basis. Become a resource, not just a sales person.

Creating loyal customers. The transparency of the internet has made us more vulnerable and more accountable. Companies like Dell and Starbucks have made significant changes in their businesses because of customer feedback online. They didn't see negativity in their customers' voices - they saw opportunity. Customers want to know that they can be heard; and smart businesses listen. (Smarter businesses ask.)

Hey, it's free. In a few strokes on a keypad, you can send a press release - or promote a new product - or announce a special offer. It doesn't get any easier than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment