Monday, March 21, 2011


The Law of Success

The End of the Rainbow
by: Napoleon Hill

First, and most important of all, in my search for the rainbow's end I found God in a very concrete, unmistakable and satisfying manifestation, which is quite sufficient if I had found nothing more. All my life I had been somewhat unsettled in my own mind as to the exact nature of that Unseen Hand which directs the affairs of the universe, but my seven turning-points on the rainbow trail of life brought me, at last, to a conclusion which satisfied. Whether or not my conclusion is right or wrong is not of much importance; the main thing is that it satisfied me.

The lessons of lesser importance which I learned are these:

I learned that those whom we consider our enemies are, in reality our friends. In the light of all that has happened I would not begin to go back and undo a single one of those trying experiences with which I met, because each one of them brought me positive evidence of the soundness of the Golden Rule and the existence of the Law of Compensation through which we claim our rewards for virtue and pay the penalties for our ignorance.

I learned that Time is the friend of all who base their thoughts and actions on Truth and Justice, and, that it is the mortal enemy of all who fail to do so, even though the penalty or the reward is often slow in arriving where it is due.

I learned that the only pot of gold worth striving for is that which comes from the satisfaction of knowing that one's efforts are bringing happiness to others.

One by one I have seen those who were unjust and who tried to destroy me, cut down by failure. I have lived to see every one of them reduced to failure far beyond anything that they planned for me. The banker whom I mentioned was reduced to poverty; the men who stole my interest in the Betsy Ross Candy Company and tried to destroy my reputation have come down to what looks to be permanent failure, one of them being a convict in the federal prison.

The man who defrauded me out of my $100,000.00 salary, and whom I elevated to wealth and influence, has been reduced to poverty and want. At every turn of the road which led, finally, to my rainbow's end, I saw undisputable evidence to back the Golden Rule philosophy which I am now sending forth, through organized effort, to hundreds of thousands of people.

Lastly, I have learned to listen for the ringing of the bell which guides me when I come to the cross-roads of doubt and hesitancy. I have learned to tap a heretofore unknown source from which I get my promptings when I wish to know which way to turn and what to do, and these promptings have never led me in the wrong direction and I am confident they never will.

As I finish these lines I see, on the walls of my study, the pictures of great men whose characters I have tried to emulate. Among them is that of the immortal Lincoln, from whose rugged, care-worn face I seem to see a smile emerging and from whose lips I can all but hear those magic words, "With charity for all and malice toward none," and deep down in my heart I hear the mysterious bell ringing and folowing it comes, once more, as I close these lines, the greatest message that ever reached my consciousness:

"Standeth God within the shadow of every failure."p>

No comments:

Post a Comment